Backing up your iPhone is essential in making sure that no important data gets wiped off in the instance that your phone gets damaged or experiences software failure.
The great thing about iPhone is that you have different options when it comes to backing up your device including doing it on your computer.
- Backing up your iPhone on a computer through iTunes.
iTunes automatically backs up your iPhone whenever you connect it on your computer. But if you want to make sure that your data is fully backed up, you can back it up manually any time you want.
If you have iOS 3.0 or a later version, iTunes also encrypts all your backups to increase the security of your data. Here’s how:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer that you regularly sync with using a USB cable, USB-C cable or through a Wi-Fi connection.
- In the iTunes app, click the Device button on the top left of your iTunes window. Then, click Summary.
- Click Back Up Now to start backup and also choose “encrypt (device) backup) ad set a password to protect your data.
- If you want to see the backups that are stored on your computer, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices. Encrypted data will have a lock icon on the list of backups.
- Backing up your iPhone using your Mac.
If you’re a Mac user, you can easily back up your iPhone to your computer by following these steps:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB or USB-C cable.
- If you’re using Finder to back up your iPhone, you need macOS 10.15 or later. But if you’re using earlier versions of the macOS, you can use iTunes to back up your iPhone instead.
- From the Finder window, click General and choose “Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac.” You also have the option to encrypt your backup data to protect it with a password. Simply choose “Encrypt local backup” and set your password.
- Click Back Up Now and the process should begin right away.
- Backing up your iPhone using your Windows PC.
Even if you’re using an iPhone, you also have the option to back up your device using your Windows PC. Here’s how:
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB or USB-C type cable.
- From the iTunes app on your computer, click the iPhone button and go to Summary. Then, click Back Up Now.
- You can also encrypt your backups by choosing “Encrypt local backup” and set a password to protect your data.
- To view the backups that are stored on your Windows PC, you can go to Edit>Preference>Devices. All the encrypted backups will have a lock icon on the list of backups.
If you want the peace of mind knowing that all the important data on your iPhone device is protected, it’s best to have it backed up regularly on your computer by following these simple steps.
How do I backup everything from my iPhone to my computer?
- Connect your device to the computer you normally sync with. You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or a Wi-Fi connection.
- In the iTunes app on your PC, click the Device button near the top left of the iTunes window.
- Click Summary.
- Click Back Up Now (below Backups).
Should I Backup iPhone to iCloud or computer?
What does backing up your iPhone to your computer do?
How do I backup my iPhone to my computer for the first time?
How long does an iPhone backup take to computer?
How do I backup my iPhone to my computer without iTunes?
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and open Finder.
- Unlock your phone and trust the computer.
- Click [your iPhone’s name] under “Locations”.
- Click “Back Up Now” to start backing up your iPhone to computer without iTunes.